Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Robert Robideau - A True Defender of Indigenous Peoples Passes On

It is with sadness that we report the passing of our brother and friend Bob Robideau to the Spirit World. Many people talk about what it is to be a "warrior," and what it is to fight for the freedom of indigenous people -- Bob Robideau lived it. Bob was a great role model for AIM members everywhere. He epitomized what it was to be a member of AIM, not through posturing, not through rhetoric, but in action. He put his life on the line, and he was relentless in his defense of Indian people everywhere. He will be very deeply missed, and will always remembered




This is Bob's description of himself from his MySpace page:


I am a member of the Turtle Mountain and White Earth Ojibwa tribes. I have been an active member of the American Indian Movement (AIM) since 1973. A member of Northwest AIM, Dakota AIM in the 1970s, today I am a member of Autonomous AIM. I served as AIM spokesman for New Mexico from 1993-94. Darrell (Dino) Butler, and I were acquitted in the deaths of two FBI agents in 1976 on grounds of self defense. The charges arose after a shootout with the FBI on Pine Ridge reservation in June of 1975 that left two FBI agents and an Indian man dead. This period known as the reign of terror, in which 60 AIM members were killed and hundreds more assaulted in a government sponsored action to destroy AIM. These killings and assaults came in the aftermath of the Wounded Knee takeover by AIM in 1973. I have served twice as National-International Director for the Leonard Peltier Defense Committee (LPDC). Leonard Peltier, is an internationally known political prisoner who has served more then 32 years in prison for the same alleged offense as I was charged and acquitted. I have appeared on 60Minutes, West 57th Street, EDJ and in other major television documentary programs. I have also appeared in the documentary film, Incident at Oglala and other major documentaries relating to AIM, Anna Mae Aquash and Peltier. I have spoken extensively on AIM,Leonard Peltier and the Anna Mae Aquash cases both in the States and Europe. I have written extensively on the Peltier case and on Native American Indian issues. I am the founder and director of the American Indian Movement Museum in Barcelona, Spain, where much of the history of AIM and my art work remains on display. www.AmericanIndianM.org/ An Inventory of work with the Leonard Peltier Defense Committee and the American Indian Movement, from 1973-1994 is located at the University of New Mexico, Center for Southwest Research. http://rmoa.unm.edu/docviewer.php?docId=nmu1mss557bc.xml My art can be found at the Bonnie Kahn Gallery: http://www.bonniekahngallery.com

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the true brothers and although we did not see eye to eye on every subject, he was there for me when I needed a friend and a brother to stand up for me.
Go in peace,Bob, you have done a good job for our people and now it is time for you continue your journey on the other side.
hau

7:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for your words and support.

Starr Robideau
Niece of Bob

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob was a tireless fighter for justice and a rela gentleman.I will miss him, he was a good friend. I live in Europe so saw quite a bit of him as he was living over here.
elija

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home